It's really hard to understand people sometimes. I have been trying to relate more deeply with Yura. We have certainly had some deep conversations, and I have spoken into his life, but.... well listen to this.
This week Yura's dog Kuzr got sick. He took it off to the vet. Kuzr had an infection. Yura got some medicine for the dog, and I saw how unhappy the dog was.
This morning Yura and Alona left early fly to another village called Vanavara. Their musical group "Togokon" will perform at a festival there. We had a nice farewell, taking a photo of all of us together and also praying together. I gave Yura a bear hug to say goodbye. If Yura acted contrary to his nature saying goodbye to us, he had a surprise up his sleeve.
Later at lunch time it was just us, Baba Anya and Igor, Yura's step son. Igor asked Baba, "where's Kuzr?" I thought Kuzr was just out the back by the wood heap, the last place I had seen her. Baba answered "Kuzr achen." Now I don't even think Igor knows any Evenki at all, especially since his mother is Even, and his father Russian. "Achen" means "not there", "does not exist". I.e Kuzr is no more. Kuzr is dead.
We looked at each other and confirmed with her in Russian. "Kuzr died?" "Yes, she died."
Melody and I were quite surprised that he had not told us. He hadn't even told Igor, but then perhaps they are not very close. Igor does not call Yura papa, just Yura.
Yura is a man of few words, and left us wondering yet again.


No comments:
Post a Comment