"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Reindeer festival in Surinda


Yura had wanted to take me to Surinda, an Evenki village of 500, with virtually no Russians living there. They still speak Evenki in that village. They are also quite alcoholic. I decided not to go there on this trip, as I did not want to leave Melody and the kids behind in Baykit.
I have been indicating my desire to go and visit the reindeer herd. Each time I mention it Yura and Alona both come up with reasons why I could not hack it. They have suggested that I come back for the reindeer festival in March, which is held in Surinda. 
I am not sure what will happen in March, but I am now seriously considering it. I would also like to bring my team mate Tim with me, so he can film it all on his video, and have lots of footage for the Evenki DVD with oral bible stories. (Are you reading this Tim? :) )

That's the next step anyway. I wouldn't take the whole family, it's too expensive to bring everyone every time. (This trip cost us $900- and we got discounted tickets.)

Yura said to come up here to Baykit, and then we will drive up on the Winter road, which is a five hour drive. We would then stay two nights and one day in Surinda for the festival and come back to Baykit. We would not be gone from home altogether more than a week.

No comments: