I had not expected the geography of Baikit to be as it is. The land is not at all flat, but quite hilly. The town is situated on two hills and a valley. The territory of the town is quite spread out, over a large area. Even though the population is 4000, the land area is much larger than Turukhansk (4800) or Tashtyp (6000), similar sized communities that I have been to.
This all means that it is not too easy to get about. You definitely need a car here. There is a local bus here that runs Mon-Fri 8 times a day until 7pm. Taxis, are 100 rubles flat, which for a town is expensive, but then I have already explained the economy up here. Most things are more expensive than Krasnoyarsk, even twice as much sometimes.
Once we have a local SIM card (our phone company MTS does not work here), then we can plan to get out and meet people.
I would love to get my hands on a map for Baikit. My brain needs this to understand it better. Maps aren't that common in Russia actually. So the officials may have one, but a regular public map may not even exist. Google satellite is not that great either.
[When ever we visit a new place in Russia I ask myself if we could live there. I have tried not to ask that question too much this time. I feel at home in Krasnoyarsk. For now, I think it is not a reality unless a train line and a good road are built to here. Both are future possibilities, but no concrete plans have been made. So for now, coming here for a week or two at a time will do.]

No comments:
Post a Comment