Yura's mother speaks Evenki, and we may be able to learn some Evenki with her every day. We shall have to see how this works out. Baykit is a lot larger geographically than I had imagined. It will not be as simple to visit people as I had hoped. So we may have to do the baulk of our Evenki with her, and perhaps just visit with other people a couple other times to share oral stories. We will of course want to collect Evenki word lists for dialectal comparison from these people.
I hope to occupy ourselves with these activities every day here in Baykit. Yura is heading further north while we are here. I have to make a decision whether I will go with him, which may include a small chance of visiting the reindeer herders, or whether it would be more effective to stay in Baykit and build relationships here. We will need God's wisdom and direction.

No comments:
Post a Comment