After twelve days in Kellog (back in 2008) we flew to Turukhansk by helicopter to wait for our plane back to Krasnoyarsk. We were in Turukhansk for three days. At the time, it was like returning to civilisation. The house we stayed in had running water, a toilet and a shower. It was simply amazing. (Even though the house was still quite basic.)
The town of Turukhansk was developing. It is a similar size in population to Baykit. Geographically it varies in that it is on flat land, and is more compact. But it varies in many other ways too. When I was there with Yura, I asked him how it compared to Turukhansk. Yura told me they are very similar.
People always like to think of their home town being as good as the next town. But here is a list of how Turukhansk is better than Baykit.
1) Many newer and bigger shops.
2) A much bigger museum.
3) Baykit has a medical clinic, Turukhansk has a hospital.
4) Many people were renovating their houses in Turukhansk.
Ok, so maybe my list is a bit short at the moment, and I'm not saying Turukhansk is a fantastic place to live. But I am saying that Baykit is a lot less developed, even than other Russian northern towns of the same size.
No comments:
Post a Comment