
A bit of a follow up to our Banya adventure. In the local market down in Akadem they were selling the branches used in the Banya, for opening up the skin pores. Amongst the birch branches are eucalyptus branches! Yes, eucalyptus. I asked the man if they were from Australia. No, they were from Sochi, a southern Russian city by the Black Sea. (Incidentally, Sochi is the number one holiday spot in Russia. Sochi is bidding for the 2014 Winter Olympics. I personally don't think they have a chance, considering that Moscow scored a solitary vote- their own, in their bid for the 2012 Summer games.) I suppose I will have to try a Banya with eucalyptus leaves some time, just not with Krazy Aleksandr.

The quest to capture a good photo of the local birds continues. This one's for my Dad, and for Nathan in Warnambool. (Both nature lovers.)

Final pic from Akadem, taken by Dan. A bit of good ol' street art. I thought this one was quite talented. (Graffiti not included in my judgement.)
3 comments:
Good effort on the bird. What's that thing eating in the snow? What insects are around in winter - do you notice many? Are they just numerous but frozen, like the mammoth?
The birds are eating berries, that God has provided for them. See an earlier post from around a month ago. Insects.... hmm... nope 'aven't seen any. Sorry. I imagine they are only around in the warmer weather.
Nice bird pic. Looks like a great tit - they're intelligent and entertaining little birds - can be worth putting out hanging bird feeders just to watch them (and get them tame enough to take more photos). [Eurasian tits are in the same family as North American chickadees.]
Post a Comment