"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Happy Old New Year

The Orthodox church did not change their calendar in 1917 when Russia did. This is because the calendar we operate on now was determined by Catholics. So Russian Christmas is on January 7, and the old new year is January 14.



Igor surprised us all with his accordion playing skills. I surprised people with my singing of Очи Черные - Ochi Chorniye (Dark eyes) a Russian folk song. I sang along to his playing and he got faster. I kept up for a couple cycles and then gave in.



Dan and I sang Silent Night to Igor's playing. Unfortunately, Abigail decided she was scared of the accordion and Melody had to take her out of the room.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Happy Old New Year?" I presume that people don't actually say that? I wonder if people kind of observe days on both calendars, or mostly choose one or the other system?

Here in Western Canada, we have a lot of Ukrainians that came here about 100 years ago. (The older ones, and increasingly the younger ones, still speak Ukrainian, never having been forced to speak Russian. They are very proud of their heritage.) Many of them observe Christmas on the Julian calendar, but the funny thing is that most people refer to Jan. 7 as "Ukrainian Christmas" (and usually with a straight face, too!) Often they are given the day off work as a courtesy; its a regular work day for the country. As a return courtesy, some Ukrainians will volunteer to work Dec. 25 at places that cannot close down for Christmas; hospitals etc. As far as I can tell, Old New Year is ignored. Interestingly, there are both Catholic and Orthodox Ukrainians here, but it appears that both groups observe Ukrainian Christmas. But these observances are far from universal; I would guess that mostly the more devout and/or traditional Ukrainians observe the old calendar. One thing is universal: if you're Ukrainian you have to endure the good-natured ribbing you get from the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Tell Dan he should learn to play the accordian. I have a big old one here that used to be Grandpa W's.

Pasha said...

No, people actually say С старым новым годом. "With the old new year." They are serious. People celebrate both, but January 1st is bigger.