Елки Палки Yolki Palki
I was just speaking to my language teacher about this idiom. She assures me 100% that it is not rude at all. It means, something like the branches are dry oon the groud. I.e the Christmas tree has dried out. "That's too bad, it's sad the Christmas tree has dried out."
My friend Kostya uses this idiom and I consider him to be a very polite person. Yet there are some conservative people within Christian sub cultures who do not like it. But I have always been one to try to steer away from these sub cultural trappings.
"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.
3 comments:
Thanks for considering me a polite person. Ёлки-пали is an euphemism, standing for a very rude words combination, however it is totally harmless in and of itself. It's like saying "blasted hoops", or "flipping shugar" in English, however the relation to the original rude variant of this word is a lot more blurred than in English.
By the way, "variant" in my posting above stands for "version"- my English is rusting slowly.
And I am not "anonymous"!!! Something went rwong when posting my comments!!!
Post a Comment