
Here's our local pantry, except we can't take the food for free, well unless Master Card don't insist that I pay the credit card bill. And yes it is our pantry, as we have a small place and a small kitchen, and no car, we end up having to shop every day. This really can be a pain, especially when we run out of things and we are too tired to shop.
So I was the one to go shopping for groceries today. As I was at the Касса (Kassa- cash register) I saw a man walk into the supermarket brandishing a machine gun!! What the....? My heart skipped a beat. But as he and the other man in uniform walked straight to the back office I realised that they were going for the money!! What the....? Well, they were from the bank and I later saw the armoured vehicle outside. Sorry I did not have my camera with me at the time.
Now in Australia the guy would just have a pistol in a holster, and in Canada he would have a water pistol, and he would apologise if he had to use it. But here the guy was holding it with both hands!! Talk about being intimidated. There goes my plans to heist the Сбербанк armoured van next time it visits Квартал.
Sorry for the Summer pic. Ah Summer. Ours starts on April 8th when we head to Turkey for our regional conference with our organisation. Sun, sand and surf..... I can't wait for the end of Winter, only 8 weeks away now.
What the....? The title of this email should bring your attention to the new labels in the side bar, if you would like to go back and read old posts on topics that interest you.
2 comments:
I am sure there is a large dose of “tongue-in-cheek” comment in “There goes my plans”. Perhaps it was just as well that you did not have your camera, as I imagine that intimidation levels could then have gone up a notch or two!
I enjoy seeing the transliteration, and the translation, of various Russian words, such as “Касса (Kassa- cash register)”. Can you please inform me about “Сбербанк” and “Квартал”.
Ah Summer. In Australia we have only three more weeks to the end of summer and the beginning of Autumn. Our winter here is much more mild than yours, but I still look forward to spring
Сбербанк and Квартал are just names. Sberbank; Kvartal. Kvartal refers to an English borrowing of the word "quarter" which is like "my quarters." It is supposed to imply a shop that is close by and convenient. Sberbank- I don't know what the Sber means.... maybe that in 1998 when they had the economic crash there was still Sberbank!
Of course "there goes my plans" is tongue in cheek. I was saying: if I was the kind of person who would do so, there is no chance. I said that in reference to the fact that I think they have gone way over the top in their use of a deterrent. After all a water pistol would have been sufficient...
Post a Comment