"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Friday, May 30, 2008

You little bewdy, Aussies in our living room!


I have often remarked that I must be the only Australian in Krasnoyarsk and one of only a few in Russia. I have heard two rumours- that there was once a student at Novosibirsk State University who was Australian and that there were a couple people here this year teaching English in Krasnoyarsk from Australia. Apparently the English teachers left a few months ago. In our first Summer here there was a group of Australians that came through to run some kids camps, and we met them briefly. Last year they came again, but we did not see them, but some Vegemite was left behind that made it into my hands eventually.

On Wednesday we were buying a train ticket for someone, when (you can imagine my surprise) we bumped into three Australian traveling through on the Trans Siberian. They are traveling across Russia in 5 weeks visiting 12 different cities. They had already spent a week on an island in Lake Baikal, so they are doing the rest at an average of 2-3 days per city.

We were able to show John, Madeline and Ange around a little and help them with buying some tickets. I consider them to be extremely brave to travel so much in a country where they don't know the language. Previously they have written down the name of the city they wanted to go to, and the date they want to travel.

I was already planning a footy night on Wednesday anyway. I managed to download the Victoria vs Dream Team game from a few weeks back. Melody made some meat pies. Rustam and Lena came to watch the game as did Tom and Diana. So it was a lot of fun to have 9 people around for our Aussie evening, with some genuine Aussies present. I love the little gifts that God gives, that no one else could.

1 comment:

Baba said...

It is good for you to catch up with some Australians sometimes Paul.When you see vegemite around it is a good sign that Aussies have been on the scene as most other cultures have not grown up to eat and aquire the taste.