It makes me feel so alive. The sights were so beautiful to me today. It makes me wonder whether this is simply in contrast to an icy Winter, or whether I would feel like this all the time in a warmer climate. Maybe I don't want to know the answer to that question.

The flowers grow bigger every day, and I hope that the entire forest floor will be covered in colour soon. I will have to check bag regularly so as to not miss it.

A canopy is certainly forming over the forest.

Is this the darker side of life? I think so. Akademgorodok is certainly a very nice part of the city. We don't see very many people struggling here at all, but occasionally a person is searching through the rubbish bins. I have no idea where these people live in the Winter time, but it seems that at least a couple people have set up some sleeping shacks here in the forest in the Summer. I have to admit that I was a little scared of disturbing someone, maybe some time I would get up the courage to talk to one of these people. We used to talk to them more often in Novosibirsk because they were on our doorstep there. It's not easy talking to a depressed person who does not speak clearly when I am still learning the language.

This is one mean slide.

The place takes on a very different look with leaves on the trees. Exploration is so much easier in the Summer time than in the Winter time. In the warm weather we are not afraid to spend long periods of time outside. When we first came to Russia, we spent three months on foot setting up our place (next time, we will do that in a car hopefully). That did help us learn Novosibirsk well though. We also visited a lot of churches in the Summer time that year and got to know a lot of people. We arrived in Krasnoyarsk in September but then went on a visa renewal trip to Finland. We arrived to settle in Krasnoyarsk in October, but it was already beginning to get cold. We did not visit a bunch of churches and did only a little exploring. We firmly know now, that May is the best time to arrive in the country, with a full Summer to get out and explore and meet people. These are all lessons learned.
Another lesson learned is that we will arrive the next time with a new wardrobe in our suitcases. We just came with our regular clothes, which are really starting to wear out now. We are holding off on buying clothes until we get to Canada, because they are quite expensive here, and will be a lot cheaper there.

Kvas or Квас is a fermented bread drink. These little trailers turn up on the streets in the Summer time. This one might not be functional yet, at least there was no one serving up the drink today.

Akademgorodok faces out on to the Yenisey river, although from a very steep hill, almost cliff, so the closest we could get is the view in this picture.

On the same hill an orthodox church is being built. In reality it is good when any church is built and people can hear about the reality of God. Hopefully this place will truly be a light on the hill.
1 comment:
Thank you for the sticky leaves reference!
It's great reading your rapturous responses to the spring all around you (I also think it's spring and not summer)and great photos, especially the view over the river, that's just magnificent!
I'm also slightly intoxicated by all the growth around here. The wild park at the end of our street is ablaze with enormous white blossoming hawthorn bushes, and the Queens Anne's Lace, or cow parsley as they call it here, is taller than Zephyr. I just love this time of year, it's like becoming awake again. I've found that it really has changed me living over here - back in Australia I am so much more attuned to the sights and sounds and smells of nature than I ever was when I lived there my whole life and took warmth and light for granted!
Post a Comment