"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I gotta tikka to ride

The adventure lies in waiting. Today I was able to purchase a bulk of the tickets for the trip to Kellog to set up reindeer for the Ket. It took an awful lot of planning to organise this trip so far, as finding the information was not easy.

The boat north only goes three times in June. The first village we need to visit is only accessible by boat or helicopter from a northern town. The boat is cheaper. When we tried to buy the tickets from Yeniseysk to Verkhnimbatsk, and were told no, they could only be bought in Yeniseyesk. The truth is that they would prefer to fill the boat the whole way from Krasnoyarsk. The solution was not suggested to us, but we decided to buy tickets from Krasnoyarsk, even though they were more expensive. The boat company knows that we will only board in Yeniseysk at midnight.

(The boat where we bought the tickets, probably similar to the boat we will travel on for 29 hours.)

Then when we bought the tickets for the plane back we were informed that it will be possible to board a plane on the 24th, if we get to Turukhansk on time and the plane has seats, otherwise we can still use our tickets for the 26th.



(A bridge over the Rivery Yenisey. The main river heading north, that we will travel on.)



(In reference to my fishing story of a couple weeks back, you don't always catch something!)



(I always enjoy it when a building is painted, it gives the city a neater appearance.)



(As you can see, this old wooden building could do with a lick of paint. I certainly appreciate the older buildings, they give the city character. Some of them are in very bad disrepair though, far worse than this one.)



(The main orthodox church in Krasnoyarsk.)



(Locals waiting for the bus.)

5 comments:

Martin said...

regarding the old wooden building: I daresay that it is a pre-soviet building... not only is it wooden instead of concrete, but it actually has some style to it, particularly in the window treatment. The frame portion above each window looks much like what I've seen on the old wooden houses in the village near Novosibirsk with Melody.

Sue-Ann said...

Thanks again for local street scene photos - I love them - the closest I'll probably ever get to walking those streets. A great sense of nostalgia in them too, though, as there are so many things (the bus stop sign, the buildings) that are the same all over Russia including parts of Petersburg and Moscow.

Pasha said...

When is the last time you visited Russia Sue-Ann?

Sue-Ann said...

I left Petersburg June 1999 and haven't been back - although I spent 2 weeks in Ukraine in 2000, or maybe 2001. It's nearly ten years and I bet so much has changed, especially in Petersburg, which was already being painted and renovated for the 2003 tercentenary celebrations. Looking at your photos is like looking at Petersburg as it used to be...

Lisette said...

I agree with Sue-Ann. The nostalgia is certainly there. Gosh I miss it.