"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Guidance in the midst of despair



After our trip to Tuva in July, I found myself telling God that living there would just be too hard. The difficult thing though, is that nearly anywhere that Siberian peoples actually live, the conditions are tough. It made me ponder just what I am capable of, in living in another culture.
I found myself asking God to give some guidance. We had been thinking that we wanted to make a decision by the end of 2007 about where we will end up in Siberia- Tuva or Khanty Mansiysk. Suddenly after the Tuva trip, this just felt too hard. A decision felt impossible.
We came to Siberia because of God's leading in our lives. Yes it was our choice, and no I am not saying I am especially called more than any other person. But I am not denying that there is still a leading from God of where we can go in life if we allow him to give us input. This has always been how I want to live my life.
So it is with a lot of joy that I now stand back and see God actually answer the prayer about guidance. It was just two weeks after we got back from Tuva, that we were kicked out of our flat. The crisis precipitated our decision to move to Krasnoyarsk and join a new team. This was not our planning that brought about the opportunity. Yes, we have done some planning to make the move happen, but the opportunity presented itself and then we decided to seize it.
I now find myself standing at a new doorway. I have to walk through this door now and then reflect on God's guidance. I was dreading a decision, and now a decision has already been made. There will be no new decisions of a significant nature for quite a while now. I am very happy about this.
I marvel at the fact that God has our lives in his hands. Not just our decision to come and live in Siberia, but our overall well being now and for many years to come in this context. He has been so wonderful in giving us the desires of our hearts, more than we could ever have imagined. I am looking forward to the next year and the good stories that will follow.