"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

I have worked it out


The Brucellosis saga continues. I had always thought that it came from some food product (dairy or beef), but could not quite work out what it was. I have been trying to get a follow up test after my antibiotics treatment, but have been unable to find a place that will do it. The doctor here threw up her arms in confusion when I came back from Moscow and wanted to refer me to the Infection Hospital. But the Infection Hospital would not see me because I am a foreigner and do not have the appropriate Russian papers. None of the private clinics here can test for Brucellosis. We made contact with the Railways Hospital (private). On the phone they said that they could test me. When I went there however, they told me they could not. I was very careful to ask them numerous times (because Russians are often good at saying no). After numerous phone calls around the city I was informed that it is not possible to test for Brucellosis in Novosibirsk.
My friend in Krasnoyarsk is making enquiries for me, but so far has received negative responses. I was told here that the infection is rare and he has been told the same. So it looks like that I may not have been diagnosed if I did not go to Moscow in the first place. It also looks like I will have to go back to Moscow to get my follow up tests. The insurance company were not keen to continue paying for me, so I need to find out exactly what they are responsible for.
Anyway, back in February when we were in Khakassia some people we visited had a little goat. I was the only one who touched the goat apart from the hosts. It turns out that the goat was sick, so I really should not have touched it. On reflection, this is the most likely cause of my infection, not some food I ate. Goats can have Brucellosis as well as cows. I hope the Khakas people we visited are not sick, but I have told Wolfgang to check in on them.

Hopefully I can get retested soon and put this saga behind me.

We are off to Krasnoyarsk tonight. We will be meeting with a team there who are doing some work among indigenous peoples. There is a good chance we will actually work with them. Stay tuned for more news.

No comments: