

We purchased our tickets for Khanty Mansiysk on Friday, only to receive a phone call from our land lady on Saturday morning informing us that we have to move out of our flat very soon. What a shame, we have come to feel very comfortable in this place and frankly, I never actually enjoy the process of moving. Since 2000 the longest I have lived in any one place is 21 months. We came close this time with 15 months, but sometimes we really do feel like nomads. After some discussions with our Area Leader, we have decided to postpone our survey trip to Khanty Mansiysk.
I received some more bad news today. I have been trying to get a follow up test done to determine if my Brucellosis has cleared up. None of the private clinics here can test for it. I was referred to the infection hospital who refused to see me because I am a foreigner. Finally the Railways hospital said that they can test me. But, when I went there today with my documents from the doctor in Moscow, they said that it is impossible to test me. Kindly they called around the city and could not find anyone in the city who can test for Brucellosis. "Not even the infection hospital?", I asked. Not even the infection hospital. Frankly I find it hard to believe that a city of 2 million people is not capable of testing for a bacteria. But I am not surprised to receive another "no". "No" is such a common answer in Russia, I think people are trained to say it before a possible yes.
Thankfully my friend Kostya in Krasnoyarsk has a mother and a wife who are doctors. His mum is a senior doctor, and I have seen her pull strings in the past when a friend of mine was injured in 1998. So there is a good chance she will be able to pull strings for me now.
We are likely traveling to Krasnoyarsk at the end of the week to follow this up and some other details.
1 comment:
Hope you can get this sorted and that you find an even better flat to live in!
Post a Comment