"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What ever happened to Spring



Well I have been raving about Spring recently. Once the weather gets warm, there is always a danger that it will cool down again. This in many ways is normal. But once I started getting used to the above zero temperatures, today's weather seemed quite cold. Last night it snowed quite a lot, and this morning when I woke up it was -11. It didn't get above -5 today. For the next couple days it will be cold, but will get to +8 by Monday again. I hope it keeps going up. I am hoping for +20 by by birthday at the end of the month (this would be a little seasonally warm, but what's wrong with hoping?).

TV channels have to have something to report on. When we were out walking we saw this guy with a TV camera. He was just filming people walking around. What could he be filming about? My guess was the weather. Sure enough when I asked him, that was his answer. I took a photo of him. He has his audience to report to and I have mine.

I'm not "complaining" about the snow as such. It did put a layer on top of the slippery ice that was never cleared away when the weather was warmer, so it is a little safer to walk around outside now. This also means that the slush season will be prolonged. But just in case I am tempted to complain, I will remind myself of these pictures from New York state. Apparently they have had two weeks non stop of snow. Looks kind of cataclysmic to me.




I have never experienced such extreme conditions and don't think it would be much fun.

The whole time we have lived in Akademgorodok, I have spoken about how much I like the place. As a rule, this still holds true. There is a bit of a seedy underbelly though.... the stray dogs. I wish the local council would take responsibility for stray dogs, but I don't think such a concept has entered their minds yet.


In other news, Melody received a call today from the police station. Her police clearance document is now ready. Wow. We expected it to take a couple weeks longer at least. When we applied back in 2003 from outside the country, with a lawyer, the whole process took 8 months. We can pick it up tomorrow and then we just have to get it translated by an official translator.

Rustam and I have been trying to find indigenous people in cafes etc. The last couple times we have gone looking we have had no success. Today we were on the bus on a different errand. The ticket lady was Tuvan. We had a good chat and she told us where we can possibly meet more here in the city. It seems that when one is not looking, there is better success. A bit of murphy's law I dare say. Rustam was amazed at how easily I struck up a conversation with her. The fact is, that as a foreigner I have a bit of the monkey factor. I always play the foreigner card, "hello, I am a foreigner from Australia, where are you from?" People are always happy to answer my question, but would be completely scared off if a Russian asked them. There is a recording trip in Tuva next week. Rustam and Alyosha from our team are going. I have not decided if I will go yet, I would have to skip classes to go. I am told that I would be very useful as I have a talent for getting people talking. As we want to record peoples testimonies, this could be a good thing. Rustam and Alyosha are both quieter people and will also be taking care of the technical side of things. It's nice to be told that I have something to offer.

The trip to Baikit did not happen now. As much as I wanted to go I did not have a good feeling about the timing for that trip, but I do about the Tuva trip. I'll let you know more soon.
(I have just been chatting with Melody. The weather is much warmer in Tuva now and it would not be difficult taking Abigail- so we may possibly all go.)

1 comment:

Sue-Ann said...

Wow - those snow pictures from NY are incredible! Imagine when it all starts to melt. Amazing.

Also that camera guy is wearing pretty flimsy shoes.

We are having wild weather of rain and gales, even inside the university building here you can hear it gusting around outside. Certainly feels nothing like spring!