Что такое русская блюда? (Chto takaya russkaya blyuda?) What is a Russian dish? When ever asking a question about Russian culture, the question itself can be a bit controversial. I will quote a Russian here: "We have no national dishes." Pelmeni, is a Siberian dish from Mongolian culture. Borscht is a Ukrainian dish. Most dishes that have some Russian association are actually Ukrainian or borrowed from another culture, often a culture living within the borders of the former Russian empire.
I was in Turkey in April last year and an Aussie who lives in Portugal was bragging about the wonderful breads they have there. He then asked me to speak of some of Russian cuisine. Honestly I had to reply- "quantity, rather than quality." I hope that doesn't offend some Russians reading my blog. The truth be told, Australia does not have a lot of original cuisine either. Most Australian cuisine is either British and a little bland or borrowed from another culture too.
I am not sure how true my friend's statement was. It is probably true to say that the most famous dishes are borrowed, whether this is 100% true, I am unsure.
The other day we went to a stolovaya (Russian style cafe) to celebrate our success at the local police station. We had salad (with calamari) and Дравники (dravniki- really something very similar to a hash brown). Russians love potato dishes.

I posted the mystery food item the other day in keeping with these requests. Don't forget to make your guess before the end of the weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment