While we were in Kyzyl this time, we had a short break from recordings on Thursday evening to eat at the home of a Tuvan lady. She passed the question around the table, "what do you think of Kyzyl?" As Rustam and then Alyosha answered, I hoped that she would not ask me.
"What do you think of Kyzyl, Pasha?"
"The Yenisey river is beautiful, the mountains are beautiful, the people are beautiful and the music is beautiful" was my reply. Phew, all of that was true. I did not tell her that I hate the fact that there are almost no trees, that it is a desert in the Summer time, that the sky is blackened by coal in the Winter time and that nearly all of the buildings are falling over.
The public open space where we stayed for the week.

One of the main streets of Kyzyl.

One of the thousands of coal stacks that blackens an otherwise beautiful sky in the Winter.

The hills surrounding Kyzyl are one of the prettier features.

The unfinished orthodox church in Kyzyl.

In all my time in Russia, I think I have neglected to take note of the petrol stations for those that may be interested. My wife assures me that petrol stations and petrol prices are extremely boring topics, but as I worked in them in Australia for years, I guess that they still hold interest for me.
This petrol station is run by the Sibneft company. I bought a drink inside the little shop. They only sold drinks and chewing gum. I asked if they ever sold chips. They used to, but they got rid of them. Why? They just got rid of them, that's all.

Octane 96: 23.90 rubles per litre ($1.10 aud / $1.03 cdn). Octane 92: 21.50 rubles per litre ($0.9976 aud / $0.9270 cdn). Octane 80 (for all the really old Russian cars on the road): 18.20 rubles per litre ($0.8445 aud / $0.7849 cdn) Diesel: 21.8 rubles per litre.
5 comments:
never fear, petrol prices make the media almost saily here, so they will certainly interest many! How much is LPG?
that should read DAILY...
LPG is sold at separate stations.
I am getting some rolled eyes at this end- it's kind of like the Ripping Yarns episode where this guy only knew how to talk about rain and black pudding.
Apparently I also used to talk a lot about how much international phone calls cost! But I seem to have currently grown out of that phase. You never know when a relapse will come.
Melody was logged in. The above comment was from me.
I think LPG is around 9 or 10 rubles a litre from the last time I looked.
Post a Comment