"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Never in Australia or Canada

Sorry to be so harsh on this land of Russia that I love. Today our little girl's birthday parcel arrived from Canada. There were a couple books and a cd of her grandparents, and one item of underclothing. The centre piece of her birthday present was to be a denim dress. The wrapping of her present was ripped and the dress stolen, by a postal worker. The parcel was then sealed up.

How could a postal worker have the time to steal items from parcels without getting caught by a superior? What sort of corruption must exist within the Russian postal system, that this can occur? And why have my last 3 National Geographics not arrived? (That one is probably because surface mail is notoriously slow in Russia.)

Please don't be afraid to send parcels, it would be far worse if we received nothing. This is the first time that this has happened to us. This how ever would be a serious offence in Canalia.

SHAME ON YOU RUSSIA POST!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad for you. In Canada the mail can be stolen too that's why we never send cash in the mail just money orders or cheques. Sometimes mail gets lost too. I'll pray for the family who have the denim dress that God will touch their hearts and cause them to seek Him.

Pasha said...

Maybe I am too harsh. It has never happened to me in Australia before.

Pasha said...

Ok, this may sound like I am whinging, but please let me explain. I have also received an email from someone on this topic.
I asked Jeremy who is staying with us if he had ever heard of mail being stolen in Australia. His response was "well I heard it in the news one time." So the fact that it had reached the news meant it was already a scandal.
Anyone who has been living here any amount of time has had this happen. It is not uncommon. The bit that bites me is that I know many a Russian working in the post office would do the same thing. There are far fewer honest people.
On one occasion we accidentally left 300 rubles ($15) in a coat check. Needless to say it was gone when we got our coats back again. The lady working there had gone through everyone's pockets while the event was on. Once again this is a common occurrence. Now I know that this is "possible" in Canada or Australia, and that there are always people who do the wrong thing, but the point I am trying to make is that it is common and frequent here and it can really get on your cultural nerves.
So I'm just trying to communicate how these sucky events happen frequently here and can really get on your nerves.
Thanks for listening.

Pasha said...

Of course, the challenge is to then forgive and love as God calls us to do. We seem to get lots of opportunities to do this!

Anonymous said...

Paul, here's a rumour for you which I feel is quite substantiated: to get a position of a loader/handler in luggage handling department at Domodedovo Airport, you have to give a bribe of around USD 15000, and the loaders are said to breakeven after just six month. How? By stealing valuables. The strict post-September-11 laws, which require passengers to check virtually everything in instead of having it in hand luggage, only help such thieves.
This is a rumour. The fact is that a delegation of KrasAir's employees upon their return from Lisbon have all found their bags opened and searched at Domodedovo (by security? - no way!).
On the other hand, of all the parcels which were ever sent to my form Australia or USA, only one did not come so far.
So the situation IS not good with post offices in Russia, no need to apologise for being outraged at them!

Anonymous said...

There is a difference between justified anger over an abuse and dwelling on the abuse in an unhealthy way that creates more pain. Your feelings are justified. It isn't fair. How you respond will affect your character. But you already know this. Jms 4:7 Submission comes first. Why? because that is where the power is. Not our power - Gd's.

Janice said...

I had intended to comment on this but didnt earlier cause I was too disapointed that my present to my granddaughter wasnt even there on her birthday. Just made the day harder for me. Bad enough that I could only send a gift not be there. But if I felt it, I'm sure it was much harder for you. I'm glad you ranted. I did to anyone here who would listen and this blog is for you to do the same.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read about the problems with “loss” of items from mail, coat check, etc.
I found an interesting website, http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw which contains information about the Australian Government Criminal Code Act 1995
http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?DocID=PAC%2F19950012%2FSch-Ch10-Pt10.5-Div471-471.1&PiT=99991231235958
Part 10.5 - Postal services
Division 471 - Postal offences
SECTION 471.1 Theft of mail-receptacles, articles or postal messages
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if:
(a) the person dishonestly appropriates:
(i) a mail-receptacle; or
(ii) an article in the course of post (including an article that appears to have been lost or wrongly delivered by or on behalf of Australia Post or lost in the course of delivery to Australia Post); or
(iii) a postal message; and
(b) the person does so with the intention of permanently depriving another person of the mail-receptacle, article or postal message.
Penalty: Imprisonment for 10 years.