"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.
Thursday, June 28, 2007
What's this called?
In keeping with the examination of fauna in Siberia, I spotted this insect while walking in the forest at Akademgorodok. Melody says it is a spruce beetle. Anyone else (Kostya) care to throw in their theory?
Wow...that is a great self-portrait! I can see the likeness. hehehe... ;-) I have asked Evan for his "expert" opinion on the bug. Will report if he has an opinion. Greg
Definitely a type of wasp. The head, wings, abdomen and stinger - in fact all of it - is wasp. Good Photo!
Looks very similar to a type of wasp I found recently on a soon-to-be-levelled area of sand & weeds on a very snake-friendly backyard building site, presumably due to the easy burrowing. It too was black with a paler head and with a clear personality. They buzz about low to the ground, or just above it, at a medium speed seeming to never rest (although they breifly do). Individual sizes vary and they may like pollen of all things, as something was dusting their heads.
The pictures of birds are great. However, please don't just concentrate on the fauna, because I suspect that the flora may be just as interesting, and less likely to flee from your camera (ha ha!). I would enjoy seeing pictures of plants, with and without flowers, which we do not have here.
Oh yes, I agree with Nathan. It is a wasp, which looks as if it may be very similar in size to the European wasps which have established themselves here in recent years.
5 comments:
Wow...that is a great self-portrait! I can see the likeness. hehehe... ;-) I have asked Evan for his "expert" opinion on the bug. Will report if he has an opinion. Greg
Definitely a type of wasp. The head, wings, abdomen and stinger - in fact all of it - is wasp. Good Photo!
Looks very similar to a type of wasp I found recently on a soon-to-be-levelled area of sand & weeds on a very snake-friendly backyard building site, presumably due to the easy burrowing. It too was black with a paler head and with a clear personality. They buzz about low to the ground, or just above it, at a medium speed seeming to never rest (although they breifly do). Individual sizes vary and they may like pollen of all things, as something was dusting their heads.
The pictures of birds are great. However, please don't just concentrate on the fauna, because I suspect that the flora may be just as interesting, and less likely to flee from your camera (ha ha!). I would enjoy seeing pictures of plants, with and without flowers, which we do not have here.
Oh yes, I agree with Nathan. It is a wasp, which looks as if it may be very similar in size to the European wasps which have established themselves here in recent years.
Have a look at the label "nature", for highlights from the last year. Of course I will post anything interesting that I see.
Post a Comment