"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

It's official, I have a bacteria called.....

"Brucellosis". But more on that later.

Our time in Moscow has been slow and dull, punctuated by some moments of beauty and joy. Melody and I enjoy people and relationships, as we know very few people here, it has been slow for us because of this. While we were in Turkey we met a guy named Vadim. Happily, we were able to catch up with him and meet his family over the weekend. Vadim cooked the most delicious fish, and good for him, he served it up with Australian wine!


I have already mentioned that Moscow's traffic situation is crazy, well so is the parking. There are absolutely no parking rules, no policing of parking and no concept of fairness in parking. People park literally anywhere they can, so long as they don't think someone else will damage their car in the process. I have seen cars double parked frequently with no one sitting in them. Here are a couple of examples of parking on the footpath and even on a crossing. Sometimes we could barely find a way around.



On the way to the clinic we pass this park. I am quite sure that the pond was built before communist times. But communism did nothing to address the imbalance. Parks like this simply do not exist in Novosibirsk.


The bacteria I have is treatable. So I am thankful to God for this. It will take six weeks plus, of antibiotic treatment, with two different types, followed by repeat tests to make sure that the bacteria is killed. It is a nasty and strong one, so please feel free to pray for a full recovery.

2 comments:

Martin said...

Wow, I'm thrilled that you managed to catch up with Vadim. I remember him from Turkey. If you're reading this Vadim, "Hello from Canada!" If not, perhaps Paul can pass it along...

Anonymous said...

Paul, if you indeed have Brucellosis, both my mom and Lena are saying, that it would be highly advicable that you tested Melody and Abigail for this bacteria too - a specific test in Novosibirsk should cost you aeons less than in this "VIP" Moscow clinic, but will allow you to either take the measures in time, or will (most likely) rule out this possibility.
This disease is usually associated with cattle, and humans can be contaminated through close and lasting contact with the animals, or with their meat and/or milk, so chances are that you have had either badly coocked meat, or fresh (non-boiled or non-pasteurised) milk, and if so, Melody and Abigail could have it too. This disease is not easily detected, and as far as I understood, it may have a long incubation or non-manifesting period.
I do not think it is a matter of worry for those who might read this comment, but Paul, please try to be on the safe side, and have the tests done for your family.