
Life continues in Moscow, and as we do not know too many people here, we have continued our exploration of the city. I personally had a fun time at the Moscow Zoo today. Compared to Novosibirsk or Krasnoyarsk it has a wider variety of animals and is a little classier. If Melbourne is the gold standard that I know, then Moscow comes in at about 4/10, ahead of Novosibirsk and Krasnoyarsk zoos.
Moscow is supposed to be a world class city, catching up to the west, but in zoology they are light years behind. Many animals are still confined to concrete and metal bars. I still felt sorry for the polar bears pacing around in the sun, but at least here there was some water for them to swim in.
A few highlights in pictures:
This perspective makes it appear as if this zebra is strolling around in some regular park.

Apparently Muscovites all believe that this humble little animal is actually a kangaroo! (According to their sign). Still I was happy to bump into some fellow Aussies. (For you Canadians, they are wallabies.)

These flamingoes have been eating a lot of food colouring to make them look extra pink!
1 comment:
Now assuming that the Moscow Zoo got those wallabies from Oz, do you suppose they paid the kangaroo price, not knowing the difference? Perhaps we could sell them some gophers from Canada and tell them they were beavers!! Sorry... that wasn't very nice!
Post a Comment