"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Chum (pronounced choom, spelt чум)


The other day while I was preparing my sermon on Abraham I looked out our bedroom window and this was our view. "What in the world?" I thought, "what is a chum doing in the city?"
Melody went down to have a look while I continued my preparation. It turns out that there is an extra-curricular school that takes teenagers on expeditions to indigenous areas. There was a bunch of 12-16 year olds roasting hot dogs over the fire, inside the tent!
This is the kind of tent that many indigenous Siberians live in, if they are still living a nomadic life style. The expeditions are not open to adults, so we won't be going. But we are welcome to have a look around their display of artefacts that they have picked up while camping. Which is essentially stealing from the Altai people, where they were camping in southern Siberia.

No comments: