"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Krasnoyarsk nostalgia

We have left the cosy confines of our apartment in Novosibirsk to visit some colleagues in other parts of Siberia for two weeks. Our goal is to learn about their work and network our visions together in the big picture plan of reaching Siberian people groups. Our first stop is back to Krasnoyarsk. We were here in the Summer time. You can look up Krasnoyarsk through the labels in the side bar. Krasnoyarsk holds a sentimentality for me as it was my port of call on my three visits to Russia over the years before I came to live.
This morning I went in to the central train station to buy train tickets for our next leg of the journey. After buying the tickets I decided I would take a walk over to the river where the ice sculpture park is. This turned out to be a bit of an adventure. I was unaware of the scale on the map and the walk ended up taking over an hour instead of an estimated 20 minutes. The route I planned was blocked on two occasions. The first, I could not get through a park as it was locked off in the winter time. The second, I found myself overlooking the road I wanted to be on from a heigh of 10 metres or so. Both of these diversions extended my adventure in the wind.
Eventually I made it to the ice sculpture park, but the sculptures have already begun to melt due to unseasonably warm weather. So I have spared you the pleasure of melting sculptures. I stuck my head into the main hotel by the sculpture park- I used to frequent that place many years ago when there were few modern conveniences such as ATMs and public toilets. (The toilets are still rare, you have to know where to look.)


No comments: