"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

What the?


I haven't done a "what the?" post in quite some time. mostly because I am more adjusted to life here now. There are the odd stupid experiences from time to time, but I usually ignore them these days. But this week there have been a couple worthy of mention.
Earlier in the week we had to go to the bank to receive a transfer from Moscow to pay for a retreat centre in June. All of the information for the transfer should have been good. But the bank said that the transfer information had my first and last name and passport number, but not my middle name. When they saw that my passport had a middle name they didn't want to give me the money. They didn't apply any logic to the situation at all. I know that the Russian naming system is different, but it was still 100% clear that I was the correct person to receive the transfer. After they deliberated for about half an hour and I had shown them multiple forms of ID, they eventually decided to give me the money.
We have enjoyed the quality of our local supermarket "Komandor". The quality and selection is a lot higher than the supermarket that it replaced and even higher than the other local store. We were a little excited when we saw that an ATM (Bankomat in Russian) had been installed at the supermarket. We weren't surprised when after 1 or 2 weeks it had not been connected, but this Bankomat has been sitting unconnected in the store for 6 weeks now. Things really just don't move fast in Russia.
The third in the series of "what the's?" for the week is sitting right next to the Bankomat. This baby has been left unattended while the mother is somewhere in the shop. This is something that we find quite shocking in our own cultural context. I'm not so sure that it is wise here either, there is always someone out there who could do the wrong thing. It's not nearly as bad as what I saw in Novosibirsk one day. A baby was in a pram out on street when I came out of the post office one day. I decided that I should stand there and watch over it. After about 10 minutes the mother came out of the post office. I gave her a real scolding. It actually appeared to me that she may have had some depression and perhaps did not care for her baby that much. I don't know.

What the?

No comments: