
It was my daughter Abigail's birthday yesterday. If you would like to get to know my daughter there is a link to her blog on this page. It's called Abigail's Spot. It's hard to believe that it is a year since she was born. She is so beautiful and growing so fast. She'll be asking for the car keys in no time!
Our land lady gave her a present. (As did a neighbour and the director of the language school. We have been very touched with peoples' generosity.) Our land lady gave her a soft toy. In Australia we would call it a lady bird. In Canada a lady bug. Well here is a good example of how different cultures can be. In Russia a ladybird is called боже кировка- bozhe kirovka or translated as God's cow. What the heck?!!!! God's cow. Man we had to laugh at that. I thought, "from now on I'm sticking to earthly milk." Now as a linguist I just have to know where words come from. Well most people who are not linguists would have their curiosity peaked by "God's cow". To thicken the plot for you, in Spanish a lady bird is known as St Anthony's cow. Now this really got me thinking. Is there something religious to this cow thing? How far will my search take me, and will there be any dairy rewards at the end?
May I will only find out in heaven at God's ice cream shop.
1 comment:
It is quite amusing I guess :-)
Just FYI, spelt Божья коровка
Hugs, Lisette
Post a Comment