"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Settling in?


We are mostly settled in to our flat now. We still have some more things to buy: a microwave, a bed (sleeping on matress on the floor at present) and some more kitchen utensils and appliances.
There is more to settling in than the physical level. Our flat is becoming home to us and this is important- to have a sanctuary that is our space. But there are many other things that will take a lot longer than the physical.
Someone in Australia said to me recently that we have been in survival stage. This is true, we have just been trying to find our feet. To truly find our place in society will take a lot longer.
Language acquisition is a slow process. Both of us have thought that we had a fair amount of language before (Melody a lot more than me) arriving here. But the more I speak Russian the more I realise that I do not know. Melody is in a different place. She is trying to find her place in the literate world of Russia. Once again, the more she learns the less she feels she knows.
This is a difficult place to be in. I find myself asking the question: “Will I ever learn this language?” While I know in theory that I will, my emotions do not share the conviction of belief in this theory.
So if you are the praying kind then please put in a word for us that we will find the strength and perseverance to get to where we need to be linguistically.
I would like to transfer to the University a year from now, but at the moment that still seems like a mountain to climb.

4 comments:

Lisette said...

Nickolai says "Rome wasn't built in a day" - well actually, he wasn't the first to say that, but it's still true. You're right - you have a big mountain in front of you, but you are an intelligent man and God has called you to Russia, so He will give you the strength to do more than survive. You will succeed.
I'm sure you are learning more everyday than you think you are. I found it an interesting exercise to try and write down every word that I knew in Russian - and found I couldn't actually write that many. I'm sure you'll be the same. It's encouraging because you realise how much you have learnt.
So while you have a long way to go, reflect on how far you have come. You'll get there and we'll pray that it won't be too torturous for you.

Anonymous said...

None of us enjoy failure or being less then we think we should be. But pleeases remember that it is easier to be awed by the miracle when it wasn't something we could have done on our own. The acknowledgment of our need, gives credit to the one who actually deserves it.
And Lisette is right you will get there.

Anonymous said...

Don't give up, Siberia needs you! Remember there is no RUSSIAN (rushin') when learning a new language. ( That corny pun was from Christophe)P.S You are our role models for learning french so we will remember you went thru a 'dispair- I don't think we can ever do this type of stage ( a bit like when you give birth!)

Lisette said...

I like parenty family's likening it to giving birth! You definitely feel during every labour that 'I can't do this anymore' - but you can and do. You'll be so much better than me in Russian in no time and I will have to work at not being jealous ;-)
Kathy's right too, it's good to acknowledge need - and then draw from the well-spring of life which gives strenght. Chin up!! :-)