
Krasnoyarsk Zoo or "zoopark" in Russian is very different from the Melbourne Zoo. I didn't understand the names of all the animals, but I did get a lot closer to bears than I ever have before. I also saw a live polar bear for the first time. After a while I felt a bit sorry for it as I watched it pace back and forth in its cage with a concrete floor.
Interestingly the Moose, Elk, Musk Ox and Belarussian Bison had much larger enclosures with lots of trees. You could call them the Novorusskis of this particular zoo. Belarussian Bison? As far as I know it does not exist in the wild at all and it is considered a miracle that they even exist anymore. It looks similar but different to the North American Bison.
Pictured above is the Musk Ox which lives in northern Siberia.
2 comments:
I assume you know that the musk ox is also found in the Canadian arctic? The Inuit made hats and heavy socks sweaters out of their wool.
I was actually a little ignorant of this animal, but yes I do know now (after the zoo) that it exists across the arctic.
Post a Comment