"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Mass herbicide of the intelligentsia



Does one have permission to hope in Russia? Sometimes I am not so sure. The world view is so different here that sometimes I just shrug my shoulders. The world view of communism has a lot to answer for.

In my Soviet Literature class in University I read a book by Platonov entitled “The Pit.” The construction workers were digging a massive pit to build a high rise building so large that it would fit all of the population of Russia into one building. Then they could live out the ideal of communism together all in one community. The image served to show how preposterous a notion it really was. The notion of community is not preposterous but rather the notion of manufactured community.

The manufactured nature of society forced people to do what they were told and not to think for themselves. People would not question why something was done they would just do it. These same notions exist as a hang over in Russian society today.

It must be said though that things are starting to change. On previous visits to Russia people would not smile at you in public. It is not a common place occurrence now but people now feel they have permission to be friendly in public, albeit with a degree of caution. As people are no longer forced to carry out certain societal expectations people begin to have permission to think for themselves.

Many notions do remain from communist times, as well as many notions from Russian folklore and superstition. Some Russian folk myths: it is bad luck to shake hands across the thresh hold; it is bad luck to whistle inside; if you have a pimple on your nose some one is in love with you; and a new one we learnt the other day- never pay a debt in the evening, it is bad luck. We wanted to pay our rent but our land lady refused to accept it from us in the evening and told us she would collect it the next day.

Due to the manufactured nature of forced community living in high rise buildings there is little concept of aesthetic beauty or should I say a reduced concept. In recent times as people have more permission to think for themselves some people have begun to plant gardens in the common areas between the buildings. This is a very new development.

The practice in the past has been to sweep the dirt in the common area. This just leaves a hardened surface where nothing can grow, yet it still gets muddy when it rains. There is therefore very little grass growing in the common areas. (The city pays these dirt sweepers. Could they not pay them to be gardeners? The gardens themselves have been planted by some brave residents.)

In the common areas near our building are some very beautiful and tall trees. There was a previous post about “Summer Snow” or «Летной пух», that showed these trees. For me this was a concession to beauty within this concrete jungle.

The other day my heart was broken and horrified. Apparently these trees must not be allowed to grow too tall as branches could fall of and damge the high rise blocks that we all live in. Now I can understand the need for safety. In my mind some pruning would be in order- cut the tallest branches off to bring the trees down to two thirds of their height. Such meticulous care seems to be a concept that does not exist. Instead the trees are simply butchered and cut off completely half way up the trunk.

Thankfully, yet I say this with some trepidation the trees right by our place our somewhat younger and have not yet offended the proletariat. But the former intellignetsia by the next building have now been massacred. In all 22 trees were massacred, changing the landscape from a leafy shady oasis in Summer to a near desert. Even our land lady says that the temperature in her building has gone up as the bricks are now exposed to direct sunlight.

I do hope that the rest of the trees survive. But if I hope, will my hopes be dashed anyway? Should I hope? Do I have permission to hope? Does Russian society yet have the permission to hope, or will the hang over continue for years to come?

5 comments:

Lisette said...

It's interesting to read your impressions. It's also interesting how different impressions can be.
You feel people didn't have permission to be friendly or think for themselves. My impression was that people didn't smile in public because to smile at complete strangers with whom you have nothing in common (at that point in time) is contrived and insincere. People smile in public if they have a reason to.
I agree the thing with the trees is a bit bizarre and tragic, but I met people 13 years ago in Russia who were planting gardens in the common areas. I guess it depends on the neighbourhood and the relationship with the neighbours - much like here in Australia. Some streets get on well with each other and even have street parties - others go to court over disputes about barking dogs and rubbish in front yards.
In Western Europe many people live in high rise buildings due to lack of space. Many people choose to live that way because they like the community feelings it can engender. Of course you can be unlucky with your neighbours...
I hope that you are able to build relationships with your community that are lasting. You are right - community can't be manufactured, and it won't be, but a sense of community is what has held the country of Russia together at all. It is the collective nature of their society that keeps it alive, and it is Western individualism that is causing the growing chasm between rich and poor. Food for thought.
Keep your ideas coming.
Love Lisette.

Pasha said...

I have seen far more people smiling in public than ever in the past. People also talk more freely in public.

The biggest point I wanted to make is that it was heart breaking to see so many trees cut down. It did serve to dash my hopes.

People have been forced to live a certain way. People in Europe choose to live in high rise buildings. Here they have been forced to as cited by the example of the novel "The Pit."

The high rise buildings are the proletariat. The trees are the intelligentsia.

Janice said...

When Martin and I were visiting you at your apartment in Box Hill and the maintenence man came by to "prune" the bush outside your apartment window you went out and stopped him. Decisively. Your desire for beauty, shade and privacy havent changed. I think for the person with the chainsaw it is easier to just do the job without really thinking about the consequences if you dont have to live with them. Is is merely a breakdown in the chain of command? "Prune back the trees for safty" becomes "were suposed to cut the trees" which is done the easist way since no one who cares(you and those others effected) will ever be able to complain effectively. They might not even think the have the right to commplain, just endure.
If it was just indiviualism verses community living there would be a solution. Individualism would have clearly spelled out who owned the right to decide what to do with the trees and if you dont like it you will move to the apartment that has the trees the way you like them...etc. True community living would have had some type of aggreement in place for the community and some mechanism in place for you to express your desires ahead of time or lodge a complaint after the fact.
So yes it does feel hopeless when you feel helpless to have your desires reflected in the comminity or at least space you are occuping in this world.

Anonymous said...

G'Day Paul, who is shared by the many,(this is Nathan)

Having seen the photos, my Dad says this is called 'pollarding', which is an actual pruning method. The trees will grow back.

The recent bushfires that burnt out much of the Grampians (Victoria, Australia) just north of us left many black & relatively brachless trees. But you should have seen then when they sprouted - the bush never had so much beauty.

When in the relativly alien environment of Mt Waverley, surrounded by kilometers of suburbs in every direction, I would often look at the sky in order to see beauty. I was seldom dissapointed. Even different shades of grey create a soul-enriching impression, when you have eyes to see it. Even the working of physics has its glory, such as the miracle of its existance, and with law, boundaries, producing staggering, continual & utterly unique beauty.

Incidentally, I read that humor has a deep, rich and documented place in Russia & Eastern Europe. While Communisum may have largely dropped out as the major provider of material, cynisim-free humour - humour that is good for the soul - can come out of family life and many things.

My Mum reads your Blog as well.

Pasha said...

Thank you Nathan for your encouraging comments. I am always lookong for beauty. I will look in some of the places you have suggested.
I am a tree lover though. When I have been in the forest in Siberia, my soul has come alive. Hence my agony at so many trees being cut down all at once.
Of course I do hope they grow back.