On Saturday Melody and I ventured out in the super cold. We found a baby sitter and also a taxi. We ventured over to the other end of town to see a performance of various cultures. The night was entitled "Siberia, our common home." The feel good nature behind the title is a little bit of a hangover from the soviet ideology of all peoples being equal. Various ethnicities were present, Russians, Armenians, Azerbaijanis, Buryat, Sakha, Tuvan. There were even some "Irish" dancers, although I am not too sure that any of them were actually Irish.
We didn't make the start of the performance due to a traffic jam. But we did enjoy the parts we saw. I have only included snippets from the indigenous Siberian peoples present.
Our friend Varya is multi-talented. Along with entering beauty talent shows and singing, she leads a dance group. The dance group made up of Sakha students performed that night. We have actually been invited to attend some dance practices. The first practice after the performance was cancelled due to poor weather. :) I hope it works out for us to be involved. We have been itching to get involved in more activities.
I really enjoyed the Tuvan music performance. I can play the "khomus" or Tuvan mouth harp. I would love to learn how to throat sing. I felt inspired to approach the musicians and ask for throat singing lessons. I looked for them after the concert but could not find them. They were the same Tuvans who performed at Miss Asia Siberia, so I guess that they could actually live in Krasnoyarsk.
Enjoy the photos and videos. Again, I didn't take out the expensive camera for fear of getting stuck at a bus stop for twenty minutes and potentially doing it damage. To tell you the truth I don't know how much it can take. I would hate to crack the mirror inside it though.
A Sakha song performance.
A Sakha dance performance. (Those are horse tails in their hands!)
I just love Tuvan music. Have a listen below.
Varya and her dance group.





No comments:
Post a Comment