"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Day highlights 2010

Well, our family is growing bigger. We don't seem to mind quiet Christmas celebrations. We do our preparation for Christmas out of sync with everyone here, which makes it far less stressful. Today was just a regular day for Russians. Our taxi driver simply said, "Congratulations on your festival." Just another day, but for us a very special one all the same.
Traditions are a good thing in a family. I nearly didn't make ginger beer this year until Melody convinced me to do so. As I drank some I thought, "yep that tastes like Christmas."  Four bottles of the 7 are now gone. It helps having another Australian family here who appreciate it too.
Another tradition in Russia, apart from our carols service on Christmas Eve is to go to the ice slides on Christmas day. Praise God that the weather was very warm today (-13 C). We had a great time outside. Abigail got her first pair of ice skates. There is a rink 2 minutes walk out our door. We all enjoyed the skate and will go back more times. I was finding my feet better today. Then after the ice skating we went down to the ice slides. All of this Winter fun for free. You have to pay big money for anything like it in Australia, even in Canada.
Enjoy the photos and videos, hope to hear from you. PJ and Abigail will offer their own perspectives on their blogs. But I might save that until tomorrow to post. I am getting tired, it's after midnight, already Boxing Day.

I'm getting the hang of this paper caper.


Here I go!

Weeeee!

First ice skates for Abigail.

This dress will get lots of wear at the numerous Russian prazdniks (festivals) throughout next year.

Taking to the ice for the first time.

Giving PJ a push.

Ded Moroz and Snegurochka. (Grandfather Frost and his Snow Maiden.)

Dad and Abigail about to take the plunge.

What a ride!

Where have the toys been in PJ's life. We have never seen him so captivated. He didn't pull a thing apart in the house for at least 30 minutes.

PJ thought it was fun to pull the kitten's tail..... 
Awwwwdorable.

"I'm cute too Dad!"  (Yes you are my dear sweet daughter.)







1 comment:

Janice said...

Abigail you are doing very well on your skates. Remember how much you loved to watch the skaters at the olympics. Everyone of those skaters had a first day on the ice and they likely thought skating was hard too.
PJ looks like he is loving his toys. If he hasnt got it all figured out I did keep the instruction book in 8 languages! Mostly it identifies the controls and tells what size of battery to use..
Paul I am glad you made the ginger beer. It is important to have some of the smells and tastes of home in the midst of your adventure into another culture.
Mel the carol service was always a favorite of mine too.