"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

My favourite Siberian dance of the moment

Check this out.  I just love the rhythms and melodies. The high shrills are impersonating seagulls (Alona told me this).  This is a people from the far east. The initial tag says Evenki, but someone argued with this. It might be the Koryak. Still I love it.

1 comment:

Martin said...

The Canadian Inuit have drum dancing as well. I was struck by how similar the drums are, and the simple rhythm. Here is an example from Gjoa Haven, Northwest Territories, a small community not too far from where I was born (and this is how I remember seeing it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW0Q6d8MrqI Note that that's in the central (Canadian) Arctic. This one is from Aklavik, the western (Canadian) Arctic, and I think you'll agree it's more similar in style (parkas, rhythm and dance moves) to the one from Eastern Siberia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJjO4Fsr5Gc
I find this fascinating! I wonder if the Siberian example you show has been modernised for today's audiences, or if it is fully traditional?