"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Into the Evenki rabbit hole

There's bit of a literary theme going on for us at the moment.  A few weeks back Katya told us that their cat is named after a cat in Alice in Wonderland.  Alice in Wonderland is quoted in the movie The Matrix.  Morpheus tells Neo that he can take the red pill and find out how deep the rabbit hole goes or take the blue pill and go back to life the way he knew it.  Wolfgang Simson quotes this same theme from the Matrix when he speaks of a new movement sweeping the two thirds world where God's kingdom is growing.

I guess I'm being a little cryptic and that's fine.  If you want to find out more you'll just have to ask, cos I'm just not gonna tell the whole story here.

When we left Novosibirsk to move to Krasnoyarsk we sensed that things happened so quickly that the doors were just flying open for us.  Then in the last few weeks before we left Krasnoyarsk, we knew that something happened there too.  We sensed that God was showing us what we would be involved in when we returned.

Again, I am leaving lots of details out here, but since we have come back things have happened so quickly.  Doors are again flying open.

The relationships that are opening up are surely significant we just don't know how everything fits together yet.

More of Katya's relatives were at her house yesterday, and we had our first meal of reindeer meat. Some of it cooked and some of it not...!

The reindeer meat reduces down to a lot smaller than it looks here.


Reindeer meat is very important to Evenki people.


Here I am chatting away with a significant Evenki leader. He ranks highly in their kinship system. Katya explained it to us before our lesson, he arrived after our lesson.  We later worked out that Evenki people don't share that stuff with Russian people.  


I didn't actually get a close up of the reindeer liver.  Liver has never been one of my favourite foods.  It was served raw and frozen, but it was thawing on the plate.  I ate three pieces which is some small victory, as it is quite slimy. The Evenki way to eat it is with loads of salt and pepper.  I wonder how long it will take to get used to... :)

As the doors have opened so quickly for us recently, we have the sense that the things that are yet to happen will be just as surprising. I've got a feeling we are in for a wild ride...

2 comments:

Lisette said...

questions...
1. How do you get the funky little check boxes at the end of your post?
2. Do tell me more...
:-)

Pasha said...

Hi Lisette,

You need to choose a new template design, I believe. Or at least you go in to edit the posts section of your blog and add the feature there.