"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tombs from antiquity



I kept a couple photos up my sleeve after the Tuva trip. It's a good thing too because the camera has been pretty quiet over the last couple weeks. These are Khakas burial stones. The Khakas are a people group of 76 000, they are related to the Tuvans but not Buddhist. These burial stones are in the fields all along the highway between Abaza and Abakan. Whole families and even horses were buried within a circle of stones. This burial method is similar to that of the Scythians, an ancient people who lived across the steppes of Eurasia.



I previously mentioned that I would not travel again until after semester. That still holds true, but there may be a chance to visit an Evenki festival in March. I may yet go to that and have the chance to visit with Yura the reindeer herder that I met back at Christmas time. Stay tuned for possible details in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

Baba said...

The photos and history are very interesting. There are a lot of people groups.

Nathan Wilson said...

We don't hear the Schythians mentioned of often. I have a personal theory, which I have made no effort to determine the truth of, that they were the real inspiration for Gene Roddenbury's (sorry about the spelling) Klingons, not the Mongols.