
The third biggest celebration in the Russian calendar is International Women's Day on March 8th. There is a bit of a joke in the fact that "Men's Day" is observed on February 23rd, to give men enough forewarning to not forget Women's Day.
February 23rd 1918, was the first mass conscription of troops in Petrograd (aka Leningrad, St Petersburg) and Moscow, during the Russian Civil War (Red army versus White Army). The troops were conscripted to the Red Army, so the day was originally known as Red Army Day. In 1949 it was renamed Soviet Army and Navy Day. In 1991 it was renamed Defender of the Fatherland Day.
It is still a day of significance for the military, but it is more significant on the level of popular culture. Women give a small gift to the significant man in their life. March 8th is far more important for all women, and it is an unforgivable sin in Russian culture to forget this day. Another joke that men make on Women's Day is, "when is Men's Day again?" The retort is often given, "Why every other day of the year, of course!"
4 comments:
23 February is also Deportation Day, when Chechens and Ingush remember how in 1944 their entire peoples were forcibly deported to Kazakhstan.
When I saw men's day on the calendar you sent me, I was going to ask if it was like Father's Day in North America. Thanks to your blog, I see that it is very different! Now I'm wondering how similar or different Women's Day will be to Mother's Day.
Men's day is thanking men for protecting the country. Women's day is thanking women for looking after the family. It applies to all women whether they have children or not as it also refers to hypothetical mothers. It is also not only a thanks for looking after the family but for other work that women do in society.
Women's day is a little like a cross between Valentine's day and Mother's day, but different again,
As a single childless female, I like this Russian concept of Women's Day better than the Mother's Day we celebrate in North America (as well as the UK version). I may not have kids, but it doesn't stop me from having an influence on the next generation! Plus I like the idea of being honoured for contributions to society - no need to be married to do that!
So how does the mix with Valentine's day come in? Flowers? Cards? Appreciation from all the men in your life . . brothers, nephews ...
Heather
Post a Comment