"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Friday, October 26, 2007

That's much better




If you are a regular reader you will remember my banya story from back in January. As I said, I am not a banya novice, by any means, but I have always taken a banya on my own terms. That is, I have always been able to stay until it is too hot for me. The more times you have a banya, the more accustomed you become to the process, and the more you can handle the heat.

On a tangent, the Finn's have their sauna, which is actually identical in concept to the Russian Banya, except they often have it inside the home (the house and even in an apartment). A Russian Banya is either outside in the garden (which is therefore only possible in old wooden houses or at someone's Dacha- Summerhouse). The Finnish Sauna is usually a lot more sophisticated and cleaner. When Russians hear that Finns have the Sauna inside their apartment they are usually amazed. I have to admit that I too was amazed at the concept. But then I thought, well I guess it is possible in Finland, but a Russian would never do that. How wrong I was.

On Sunday I met an old acquaintance who I first met 9 years ago, Maksim. He invited me over to his place on Friday for a Banya. I couldn't quite believe how there would be room in a small Russian apartment for a Banya. But there was. Maksim has installed a Banya in his bathroom. It was quite impressive. The top half of the room has wooden panels and the bottom half of the room is tiled. The Banya heater is electric and conveniently heats the top half of the room, while the bottom half stays cool. There is even a little contraption that has tiny rocks in it, and a tiny trickle of water flows down on to the rocks to create steam.

Since my banya experience in January I have had a couple more, one in Khakassia and one in Finland. The thing I was not impressed about in January was how I was forced against my will. Tonight Maksim was not forceful at all. When it came time for the beating of the birch branches, I lay on the shelf and waited; Maksim proceeded to use the birch branches which were wet but cold. He shook the branches over my back and sprinkled me with cold water. But these droplets in the air turned to steam. Then the branches gradually became hot, but never searing in their heat like the January experience. I am glad I gave the birch branches another go, because I actually enjoyed it this time.

For me the striking difference is that Maksim was not forceful. He is very Russian in his culture (worth mentioning because some seek after fashionable western concepts), but has allowed himself to be redeemed by Christ as well. A redeemed Russian will share their culture with you, but not force it down your throat, as I experienced in January.

Following the Banya, came Zakuski (snacks). Maksim had made some delectable fruit wine from some berries, that had a bit of a champagne fizz to it. Mmmm, mmmm.

That was much better this time, and I think I will return to Maksim's soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ingenious!

Anonymous said...

Can we meet him?