"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Friday, December 08, 2006

What's new?


Life is slow here. When my friend Matt left to go back to Wales, I asked him for some advice. "Never be in a hurry in Russia," was his response. It has taken me 17 years to learn that lesson myself; that is how long since God put Siberia on my heart until I came to live here. In the six months I have been living here I am getting to know people. I can glady say that I am even developing a friendship with a young Tuvan guy. This was more than I had hoped for in my first year. It has not been easy to meet indigenous people so far. I think they are hiding. And like in many parts of the world, the men hide more from God than the women do.
Some of you have asked how my sports club idea is going. Let me say, that I would still LOVE to make this idea a reality, but I have no idea how or when. So far I have one male Tuvan friend. I think I will need a few more, before we can get something going. All will become clear in time. You can pray for this reality to come to pass some time.
In the mean time, I would love to know what questions you have about my new home and life. Please tell me. I am running out of ideas to be able to post as often these days. When I first came, I would see something new every couple days (I had been here three times before; otherwise I would have seen something new every five minutes). Now as life is becoming normal here I only see something new every couple of weeks. We have friends in Kazakhstan who are all excited about the snow. That was new for me six years ago and this is now my fourth real winter in life. So you may notice that I have not spent a lot of time raving about the snow. Same old, same old. Except to say that it is always really nice after a good fresh snow that covers up all the dirt.

So if you have novel requests for me, it might just put the explorer spirit back into me. Go on, put your thinking caps on!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pasha! I have two areas where it would be nice to see some posted photos...the opera house (built by german labour)...Marina remembers it well..and blushed every time she saw the statues inside. Also, the cemetery has it's own spooky identity with all the trees. Those would be great...I'll try to see if she can remember her address...it sould be nice to see a photo of her old apartment building! Thanks!

Pasha said...

Hi Ted... you can email the address I think (apartment building).... but where is the cemetery that you speak of?

Anonymous said...

Hi Pasha,
I'm a friend of Ted and Marina. Because of them I enjoyed winter 93 in Saratov, south of you... Working with the University's English Dept. I remember the buses, the market and the acapella singing... and was often intrigued by ideas/questions of infrastructure? how is my apt heated? where does my water come from? are the grannies who sweep the street paid to do so? I'm sure much has changed... Peace of the Lord be with you as you deepen into the Spirit's Presence in your life and the lives of those you care for...