"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Not that game again?!!!



How much do I have to learn to understand the Russian brain? An awful lot. I have lived in Canada and thought that I understood cold weather climate thinking. But Canadians and Russians approach the cold so differently. They also approach their recreation differently. Come winter in Canada there is an onslaught of hockey, everywhere. Boys are chewing at the bit to put their skates on. The blokes are puttin' the beer on ice and screaming at the tv. The male population live and breathe hockey and at least half the female population join in.
I have heard that Russians play ice hockey. I have even seen it before. I'm not denying that Russians are interested in ice hockey. But somehow, they have this insane desire for the round ball dufus game. That game of infinite boredom and stale non-creativity, soccer, football. the world game. I was quite disgusted with this "world game" at World Cup time, when I witnessed that the Italians had to cheat to win, and that the "best" players in the world were a bunch of wusses, who were taken off on stretchers when ever they grazed their knees.
But it is just quite simply bemusing to me that people are continuing to play soccer through out the winter. With so much Russian passion for this boring game one would think they could even qualify for the world cup. (Ah such a dream....)

Oh, and it's not because soccer is cheaper, these guys are wearing good quality boots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, give it a few years and you'll get caught up in the 'world game' hype...or at least appreciate it more.

You freakin' ocker!

Pasha said...

That's a scream, yep I am a bit too true blue, but hey, I've gotta hold on to some of my identity. Anyway, I was trying to highlight that Russians are not keen enough about their ice hockey.