For the last few days we have been staying in a little village in the south of Sweden called Holsbybrunn. This is where Melody went to Bible School back in 1997-98. Since we were going to Finland already for holidays, Melody decided that she really wanted to visit here. Despite my slowness in planning this portion of the trip, I am really glad I got to see this special place in Melody's life. It has been a really fun trip down here.
On Sunday night we presented to the students for an hour. We offered them an internship back in Russia. One of the students seemed quite interested in the prospect.
We arrived in Stockholm on Friday night at 7pm and then had a 4 hour drive down to Holsby. So my first real impressions of Sweden by daylight were in Holsby.
It was a nice crisp morning, following some frost. I could have used some long johns.
Farthinder: Swedish for speedbump. This always caused humour for Melody's classmates. It is my hypothesis that the word basically means wind in an ancient form. In Swedish it means something like travel or movement, which I can see being related to wind.
The Bible School that Melody attended at age 18.
Melody took many walks along this train track. Unfortunately we have not been able to take walks in the forest because this week is moose hunting season. I think getting shot would spoil a nice walk.
This scene is particularly amusing for me. Growing up, the Volvo was the daggiest car that anyone could drive. They had the reputation of being the safest car on the road. Consequently their drivers always seemed to drive them slowy, and with total oblivion towards other drivers. Other drivers would always be annoyed by Volvos on the road. But of course in Sweden the Volvo is a national icon like IKEA. Such a national icon deserves to be hotted up by young guys, just like a Holden Torana or Monaro. I really had to have a good laugh at this scene.
On other occasions I have noticed numerous Volvos at this address. So I call them the Volvo family. You can just imagine the dinner conversation.
Son: Dad, I think I might buy a Saab.
Father: No son of mine will drive a Saab while he lives under my roof. And if you buy an Audi, then I will disown you!
(These can of course be substituted with the words Ford and Holden in Australia.)
Melody was tickled that she could do Facebook at Holsby. Facebook of course did not exist in her day. Internet was scant too. Melody would hitch hike into the big town called Vetlanda to use internet at the library so she could email home. She would do this every couple of weeks.
This a little craft shop in Holsby that Melody used to walk to.
The central square in Vetlanda.
Bikes are a big part of Swedish culture. Not a single one of them was padlocked.
This is the library where Melody would do her email. She had to book her time for half an hour. Sometimes the connection was so bad, that she would right her email and then be unable to send it. How times have changed in 14 years.














1 comment:
How lovely for you to be able to share this place from Melody's past together!
Post a Comment