"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How do you say hello in North Korean?

Today was one of those days. Sometimes I feel like I just can't speak Russian at all. In class this morning we discussed a Chekhov story called "Vanka" about a little boy who can't stand his life in Moscow and wants to return to his grandfather in the village. I understood that story fine and the ensuing discussions. Although for some reason this teacher seems to use a lot of words that I don't know. I don't know what it is but some people are just easier to understand than others.
The second half of class we went through a barrage of comprehension tests for a movie that I watched called "Moscow doesn't believe in tears." (The film won the 1980 Academy award for best foreign film.) Oh, there were so many words I just didn't know. I guess it's just the depth of language that I am tackling these days, still it serves to make me feel stupid.
Later in the day while going on one of our walks through the forest and around Akademgorodok, we stumbled on a couple of people picking mushrooms. We have been all to hesitant to go mushroom picking as you could well understand and are really hoping to do some with some Russian friends, some time soon. I got talking with the guy and it turns out that he is Soviet Korean (i.e Koreans brought across by Stalin during world war 2).
I asked him if he speaks any Korean.
A little, he replied.
"Anyong hiseyo", I said.
He looked at me strangely and said "what is that?"
"Anyong hiseyo, that's hello in Korean."
"Oh, that's the southern dialect. We're from the north."
"How do you say hello in North Korean?"
"??? ???"
"Wow, that's completely different."
We chatted for a while longer.
"So are you a teacher here?"
"No, I'm learning the Russian language."
"Oh, you easily speak enough Russian."
"Thanks, you're too kind."

So, am I supposed to feel any better after that conversation?  I don't know, I'm just going through a real plateau time with my language right now. But hey, my Evenki is coming along well.

Some photos for you.

The last of the flowers for the Summer.

<<<--East.  West-->>>
What is this contraption of a building stuck in the forest on the edge of the apartment buildings?
Why it's the Krasnoyarsk Territory Pidgeon Breeders club of course.
Funnily enough as well as pidgeons, there were also some hens in there. :)
PJ's first ride in the back pack. He was ecstatic.

No comments: