It's raining outside and the last number of days have been coolish. Some of my Russian friends have been saying that Summer is over. But these are the same people that say that June would not be warm either. Both June and July were quite warm with a good share of hot weather. The last week hasn't got much above 20, but there is supposed to be more 20+ sunny days coming up over the next couple weeks. A very rainy and cool day outside is starting to make us think about Winter though. We had better get our warm coats and shoes etcetera organised and bought. In reality we have a couple months still before we would really need anything, but it's good to not leave it until the last minute.
The swimming pool has been closed for July and August. I guess I have been getting enough exercise walking 3-4 times a week, but maybe not as much as when I was swimming. When I was swimming I was doing 2km three or four times a week. I will put myself on the record now and declare my long term goal. I plan to compete in a triathlon within the next few years. I need a goal past losing the weight that I want to lose, so I don't stop at that point.
Cycling is part of the triathlon I hear. I've never been a big bike rider. Kostya invited me the other day to meet him at Tatyshevo Island, which is in the Yenisey River. I rented a bike for 150 roubles ($6) for an hour. I remember going to Tatyshevo Island back in 1998. There was nothing there then, just bushes and trees and grassy spots where people would picnic and play soccer for fun. Now it has some really good bike trails, outdoor tent-cafes and even a mini-golf (quite rudimentary quality though). Kostya and I went riding for a little over an hour. We kept up a good pace most of the time. My legs held up quite well, but towards the end my bum was getting quite sore. What, so I have to strengthen muscles there too? Ouch.
A view of downtown from the island. (L-R): The Museum of History and Culture, Krasnoyarsk Concert Hall, the "sky scraper" (that remained unchanged for 20+ years) is finally getting finished...



No comments:
Post a Comment