"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Attention all Canadians

Before we left Australia on our last packing day Melody sent me up the street for a very simple yet impossible shopping list. I bought my vegemite and some cream of tartar powder to make play dough for Abigail. There was just one ingredient that Melody wanted- Maple Essence. When we were in Russia last time somebody gave Melody a small bottle of maple essence. Melody made imitation maple syrup with it, and the bottle lasted a whole year. But alas, there was no maple essence to be found in either the IGA or Safeway.

We actually had a better chance of finding maple essence in Singapore. Singapore has a population of 5 million, but 1/4 of these are expats. The supermarket sells vegemite and maple syrup. I felt that five tubes of vegemite wasn't quite enough to take, so I wanted some extras. The price here was twice as much as in Australia. There was a jar of marmite, so I thought I might just give it a try. We'll see how it compares when we are living in Russia.

The supermarket here did not have any maple essence- but it did have sage and popcorn salt, two items Melody will really appreciate in Russia. Kim thought of a specialty shop that would likely have it. We went on our search, and this is what we found:


Dozens of various flavour essences. Some of them quite strange. I mean, what the heck is Kirschwasser flavour anyway?


But no maple essence! Needless to say, Melody would really like her maple essence. So dear Canadians, run down to the shop and see if you can find some. If you do, then buy it and let us know. When we have an address in Russia you can mail it. That would be really special, thank you.

As you can see, I am well stocked for now.

3 comments:

Lisette said...

MARMITE?!?!?! Oh dear. 5 minutes away from here and you're buying that stuff in desperation for the true yeast extract?? *sigh* ;-)
Kirschwasser - cherry water. I guess it's like rose water but cherry flavour?
Pure maple extract on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/JR-Mushrooms-Specialties-Maple-Extract/dp/B0002PHEDO
I think they post to Russia - at least it's in the drop down list.
Glad you're there ok.
Lisette xo

Lisette said...

http://www.cooksvanilla.com/product_38_Pure_Maple_Extract.html

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/puremapleextract.aspx

http://www.jrwatkins.com/jrwatkins/productsgroup.cfm?Group=86634FC3-A5E2-0152-9F1D503F094A61CE&Family=8662E560-A5E2-0152-93E6B54AE38CBE70&Country=Usa

All ship to the states at least - some seem to be better priced than others. Maybe someone can get it and post to you if no luck elsewhere. I have checked the American store website here and apparently not there, but I will call and ask them.

http://ocanada.com.au/shop/canadian-foods/baking-supplies?order=name&dir=asc&mode=list

This is a Canadian supply but currently out of stock.

to be a ... A family after God's own heart. said...

:) what a hilarious string of pics of all those "essenses"!!! I had my mother in law send us some Maple extract. Because we too do not have anything close to it in Vanuatu. Good to see you guys are on your way. ENJOY SINGAPORE! Awesome!

HUGS,
Gretch