"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Monday, December 31, 2007

Kind hearts and Godly hands

I have been ready to complain when Russian people have been ruder or more dishonest than I am used to. So, I should also be ready to praise when people behave kindly, and in ways that many in Australia may not even do.
Yesterday Melody dropped her wallet from her coat pocket on the way home, and unfortunately did not realise this. Today, as I was working on the team planning spread sheet I received a call on my mobile. This was strange because my balance is below zero at the moment and I should not be able to receive any calls. The caller asked me if I knew Melody, because he had found her wallet and documents etc. I was immediately quite nervous at what this could mean. Melody talked to the man and I started getting dressed to go outside. He didn't live far away and I walked straight over there.
The man and woman who answered the door were very nice and honest. They didn't want any reward, and there was over a 1000 rubles in cash. I thanked them very much for their kindness. Not a thing was missing from the wallet.
What makes this special is that they searched and found a small scrap of paper with my mobile number on it and then called. The call should not have even reached me.
It was obvious that God was taking care of us, and that there are some very nice people living in our area. This has restored my faith a little in the overall honesty of Russian society. It still pays to be cautious though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you feel that way Paul. I am still waiting to have my faith in Australian's restored. (only joking) However, I have found my experiences here to be much like yours. Perhaps it is because it is not the home we were brought up in.
Nickolai

Pasha said...

Well, my dear zyat', it takes a long time to truly adjust, as you well know. Thank you. :)