On Saturday there was a separate church conference for people in Yakutsk. We were invited to attend this conference too. I skipped out at lunch time though and went home, so I could watch the AFL Grand Final on the internet. The connection wasn't great but I managed to see most of the game.
After the game finished at 5pm (same time zone as Melbourne), I went downtown for a look around. The place was crawling with young people hanging out.
Some of them have chosen Lenin Square (part of the old city) as place for rollerblading, skateboarding and bmx riding.
I photographed a few them.
I then decided to sit down and watch the bmxers for a while.
After taking a number of photos, the young guys came over to have a chat with me. They were 15-16 and still in school. Some of them asked if I could come and photograph them the next day when they were going downhill riding. But I already had plans, and I don't live in Yakutsk.
It's a very different context when surrounded by a people group, as the people groups are only a small minority in Krasnoyarsk, but a majority in Yakutsk. We used to try to say hello to almost every indigenous person we saw (but now we have lots of friends and don't need to do that so much). But in Yakutsk that would mean doing so constantly. It was a little confusing for me! In such a context, meeting people is easy.

No comments:
Post a Comment