On the way home last night Oleg pointed out a flyer to me at the Komador (supermarket): Icons of the 60s-80s, a photo exhibition. I decided to take the family there this morning. I haven't been taking a lot of photos myself recently. I really enjoyed looking at someone else's photos for a change. The photos were actually taken by a lot of different people. The subjects were all sorts of famous people such as sports people, actors, politicians etc. Of course I did not recognise as many as most Russians would, but it was fun spotting people that I did recognise.
This is Nikita Mikhalkov, one of Russia's most famous actors and directors. I remember watching a film in literature class back at Monash Uni many years ago, with him as a young actor: <<Я шагаю по Москве>> / "I stroll through Moscow". More recently he directed one of my favourite films <<Сибирский цирюлник>> / The Barber of Siberia.
Alisa Freindlich, star of many movies including one of my faves <<Служебный Роман>> / An office romance.
These next couple were just photos for which I really enjoyed the composition.
This was probably the best photo for composition and capturing the moment and era.
A scene right out of An Office Romance. (1970s.)
I don't know the full context of this photo, but it is really quite humourous and at the same time annoying. Russia is full of old women washing floors (and central Asian women these days too). Many a time a floor is washed when it should not be, making it dirtier as the water just collects more dust as people walk in. (It would be far better to just mop once at the end of every day.) On this occasion there is some sort of fancy event. Every one is dressed up and trying to enjoy their party. But the old washer woman insists on washing the floor under their feet, pushing them out the way to do so. Perhaps you have to "be there" to understand it, but it really cracked Melody and me up. :)
And a name that every foreigner should also know, Gary Kasparov, world chess champion in the early 80s.


No comments:
Post a Comment