"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Altai music in the big top yurt

Recently we discovered another yurt cafe, which I have posted about. It turns out that they also have concerts there from time to time. We were there at just the right time to discover that a group of Altai throat singers was coming up to Krasnoyarsk.
Melody and I found a baby sitter so we could go to the concert. It was quite crowded when got there and we nearly didn't get in. We managed to squeeze in a spot on the floor (everyone was on the floor).

This music probably seems very foreign and strange to most of my readers. However to me it now sounds deeply beautiful. The musical skills of the group are to be beheld. I particularly appreciated the rich harmonies of these throat singers. Often when I have heard throat singing it has appeared to be deep in tone, but these singers also sang quite a few high notes.

As I have come to not only appreciate but also greatly enjoy this music, I can not help but think how wonderful it would be for worship music to be composed in this style. I am of course thinking of worship to Jesus. The Creator God created all and loves all and is patient in waiting for people to worship him, much like a parent is patient to receive love from their children. Love is desired but never forced. In such a context of understanding worship and love, I know that Creator God deserves to be worshiped with this music as with any other music on earth. The good news is that according to Revelation 7, such a thing will eventually come to pass, as people from every tribe, nation, people and tongue worship the Lord God before his throne in heaven. What an amazing event that will be.

I hope you enjoy this music too.






This song was my favourite of the night for the very rich harmonies.


No comments: