"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Wild flowers, Mountains and resort. (June 10th-12th.)

We arrive at Issyk Kul two days before anyone else. It was a peaceful time to relax. I really enjoyed swimming in the lake. Compared to Canadian lakes it wasn't cold at all. But I can imagine few Australians wanting to swim there. It was really refreshing.
We had a week long conference with people who work in our part of the world. It was fun to connect with a number of people who lead similar lives to us and have similar experiences. There were plenty of encouraging times together, including the chance to worship. I'm not a big fan of listening to one speaker all week though, I prefer more variety.

Some photos from in and around the resort where we had the conference
Our room is to the right. PJ enjoyed the freedom to explore, but we still had to chase him when he ran off. He has no "leash".

Kyrgyzstan is very mountainous. (Lake) Issyk Kul is at 1600m eleveation.


The land around Issyk Kul is some of the best farmland in Kyrgyzstan. Kyrgyz are traditionally nomadic, and on the whole there is very little farm land. Kyrgyzstan is mostly good for grazing animals in mountainous regions.

Kyrgyz wild flowers.


Snow capped peaks in Summer are impressive. There is a mountain over looking Bishkek that is 4800m tall. Bishkek is at 800m elevation. So a mountain towering 4kms above Bishkek is very impressive. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it from the bus.





Abigail had some much fun picking the flowers.

Ahh, the slower pace of life. (A Russian friend said Kyrgyzstan is the third world, although I disagree.)


No comments: