It had been quite a while since we rode the train in Siberia. The last time was July 2008. So a ride in coupe to Novosibirsk on June 6th was long overdue.
We were making our way down to Kyrgyzstan for a conference at Issyk Kul (a lake at 1600m elevation). We stopped in Novosibirsk with our Korean friends Noah and Sarah who have been living in Russia for 19 years. They are now the directors of a seminary. They kindly let us stay at the seminary for a couple of days. Unfortunately, the food was low quality and we picked up something bad there, which provided some challenges on our trip.
We also caught up with some Tuvans still in Novosibirsk, and the news of others we were friends with who have moved back to Tuva. I was deeply saddened to hear that my good friend Aidys and his wife both became very sick with tuberculosis. Aidys went to recover, but his wife did not make it. What a tragedy that people still die from such a treatable disease. I have often thought of him and prayed for him. Now I know better how to pray for him in his grief. I will give him a call, but other Tuvans have advised me not to mention the death of his wife, just to tell him I love him and am praying for him. The fact that I saw Noah and Sarah will be enough to let him know that I have heard his tragic news.
Other shots on the train.




No comments:
Post a Comment