"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer solstice festival

There was an ethnic festival on the other day, right in Akademgorodok. Lots happens right in our neck of the woods (actually in the woods :)  ).
There weren't that many people represented- Russians, Estonians, Latvians. There was a big bonfire and some people had flower and grass wreaths around their heads. There are so many festivals and events in Russia, that the usual question that flows from my lips is "Kakoi eto prazdnik?" (Which celebration is this?) But I refrained this time and tried to observe. I asked myself this question a few times until I realised, "It's the Summer solstice of course!"
Paganism aside, it was fun to be at. We met lots of people that we knew, met new people by being introduced by the ones we already knew. Festivals are great for that kind of thing. We bumped into our Evenki teacher Katya, who was with some other indigenous peoples. She boasted to them about our language learning methods and how we were learning Evenki with her. It seems she may have committed herself to more lessons in the presence of other Evenki people. She will not be available until August. We really hope it materialises.
The most exciting introduction I had was with a guy named Gregorii. He is Nenets from the Taimyr peninsula. He is the first Nenets person I have ever met and I enjoyed this immensely. It was just a lot of fun to chat with him, and I felt the smile on my face. I got his contact details and need to send him an email.
There was probably a mild level of paganism there. There was a table run by some Russians in folk style dress. Much of their wooden art has a pagan style influence to it (by their own declaration).

There was even a dance around the bonfire.

A Russian pagan good luck charm.

All of their wooden art.

Russian pagans.

Flower and grass wreaths.

Gregorii, the first Nenets I have ever met.

PJ grabbed this girl by the hand and started dancing with her. What a charmer!

PJ.

Abigail.

1 comment:

Baba said...

YOu look cute playing the violin P.J.
What a pretty dress you are wearing Abigail.
Good that you met a Nenet to converse, Paul.