"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sports activities at Yhyakh.

Aside from music, dancing and story telling, sports and games are a big part of the festival. It's interesting to remember that there are actually a lot of similarities in the format with the way the Ket held their festival when I was in Kellog
The first sporting event is called "three by three." It involves a run up to the starting line, followed by three hops on the one foot, then three steps with alternating feet, then three jumps with the feet together. The young guys were getting some real distance, the winner with a distance of 28 metres. (You try it!) Sadly, I did not know in advance to bring sporting clothes, and my redback boots were ill prepared for the task. So I regretfully opted out of this event.




This is Aisen, a real sporting star among the group. He performed the best across all events. He finished second in the three by three.




The next event is something I have known about for years and always wanted to participate in. It is called "maswrestling."  There is a plank of wood separating the two competitors. The competitors hold on to a pole. It's a tug of war to either snatch the pole, pull your opponent over to your side, or make them stand up.



I limbered up and jumped in feet first. :) I competed quite well.  There's a video in another post. The guy I competed against went on to win the heavy weight division, so I have a bearing on what it will take to win next year. (If I can some how get some practice??)









The real wrestling was a serious event. The guys were going hard at it, and even one competitor got a blood lip. Part of me wanted to get right in there and give it a shot. But as they were so competitive I thought it is maybe better to get to know the guys first and then have them teach me. (Or so I hope.)


No comments: